Thursday, June 20, 2013

Australian Artist - second prize!

I was very pleased to read the news that I'd taken out second prize in Australian Artist Magazine's "Seascapes, Rivers & Lakes" Art Prize Challenge No. 52, with my entry "South Coastal".

australian artist magzine 2nd prize seascape in oils andy dolphin

My painting depicts a location near Denmark, on the south coast of Western Australia. I told the story of it back in February, this year, as part of my Evolution of a Seascape series of articles.

While the location is real and the painting is true to the place, there were quite a lot of design decisions employed to make it something more than "just like a photo".

Winners and finalists are featured in the June, 2013 edition of Australian Artist Magazine.

Congratulations to first-place getter Jayne Henderson from Victoria, third-place getter Craig Addley from Queenlsand and to all the finalists.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit when i first saw this painting i found this work menacing/playful because of the way the internal dynamic of the Egyptian motifs seems very disturbing in light of the remarkable handling of ljght.

    congratulations :)

    um does this make it more expensive now if i want to buy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. And since you're my brother, just the fact you might want to buy it would make it more expensive :)

    ReplyDelete